This one is essentially a “skinny margarita”, and it’s simplicity should convince you to ditch the pre-made margarita mix. If you plan to have more than one round (highly recommend), we suggest you get the lime juicing over with ahead so you can mix up round 2 in a minute.
Note: we skip the simple syrup in this one (there is sugar in triple sec), but feel free to add some in if you need something more to cut the tartness. Simply add agave syrup or your preferred sweetener (1 teaspoon at a time) to the cocktail shaker until you reach your desired sweetness level.
- 8 oz. tequila (our personal go-tos are Espolon, Altos, Casamigos, or Casa Azul, if you’re feeling fancy)
- 4 oz. lime juice (from about 4–5 limes)
- 3–4 oz. Triple Sec (Cointreau preferred)
- Optional: splash of club soda
For the rim:
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp salt
- Prepare the salted rim:
- Mix 2 tablespoons smoked paprika and salt together and spread on a small plate.
- Use a lime wedge to wet the rim of your glass, then dip the glass (rim side down) into the paprika-salt mixture.
- In a cocktail shaker or large jar, shake lime juice, tequila, and Triple Sec with ice. Strain an even quantity into 4 glasses (on the rocks or not, up to you!).
- Top each glass with a splash of club soda, if desired.