“Sushi” Bowl with Seasoned Rice, Tofu, and Veggies
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 servings 1x
A delicious veggie “sushi” roll but in a bowl! I love bowl-style meals because they are highly customizable, perfect for entertaining (for that very reason), and typically as nutritious as they are delicious! Though the ingredient list may seem long, this dish is truly so easy to put together and requires very little hands-on cooking. This bowl combines seasoned sushi-style rice, ginger-soy tofu, delicious vegetable toppings, and a sesame soy dressing to tie it all together. Enjoy!
For the Tofu and Marinade:
- 1 block (14 oz.) extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained, diced into bite-sized cubes
- 1-inch piece ginger, minced or grated
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Optional: 1 sheet nori (dried seaweed), shredded or cut into small pieces (You can find Nori in most grocery stores like Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Wegmans, etc., in the Asian or International aisle.)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
For the Rice:
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or agave syrup
For the Toppings:
- 1 cucumber, diced (about 2 cups diced)
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced into 1/4 inch segments or diced
- 1 cup edamame, pre-shelled or shelled by hand (frozen is great)
- 1 cup red radish, thinly sliced (about 3–4 radishes, substitute with carrot if you cannot find radish)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Optional: 1 tbsp sriracha
- Optional: 1/2 cup scallions, sliced
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup soy or tamari
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Prepare the Tofu:
- In a medium bowl, combine ginger, 2 tbsp soy or tamari, 2 tsp rice vinegar, 1 tsp maple syrup, and shredded or cut nori sheets, if using. This is your quick marinade.
- Place tofu in the bowl, toss to coat, and let sit for at least 15 minutes, or up to 1 hour.
- Prepare the rice:
- Rinse rice thoroughly. Rinsing removes the top layer of starch and prevents the rice from getting gummy as it cooks. This step leads to a better and more even texture.
- Place rice, 3 ½ cups water, and ½ tsp salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until water is completely absorbed by the rice. Remove from heat and let rice sit, keeping it covered, for 10 minutes before removing the lid. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine 3 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tbsp maple syrup or agave, and 1/4 tsp salt. Once the rice is cooked and fluffed, pour in the vinegar mixture and stir to coat the rice. Set aside.
- Make the dressing:
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk until fully combined. Set aside.
- Cook the Tofu:
- Heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in the tofu and its marinade and sauté, tossing frequently, until the tofu begins to crisp around the edges and the marinade thickens to glaze the tofu, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Place the seasoned rice in bowls and top with a generous amount of cucumber, avocado, edamame, and radish. Drizzle each bowl with your desired amount of dressing, and top with about 1 tbsp sesame seeds. Sprinkle sea salt to taste, and add optional sriracha for a nice kick, and optional scallions for an added crunch.