Santé Caesar Salad
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
This recipe is a play on Caesar salad and is highly customizable depending on the season or your personal preferences. We’re using capers in the dressing in lieu of the traditional anchovies. They are the perfect substitute to achieve the salty brininess of anchovies yet are subtle and delicate enough not to overpower the dish. This one will leave you fully satisfied thanks to the high protein content of the dressing and the chickpeas, and the healthy fats and fiber from the avocado, cucumber, and radish. I hope you love it!
Caesar Dressing Ingredients :
- 1/2 cup tahini (we like this Soom brand but Trader Joe’s makes a great one too)
- 1 tbsp capers in brine (fill a tablespoon with capers and some jar’s liquid)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast or 1 tsp miso paste
- 1/2 cup water, plus more for thinning to desired consistency
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Optional: 1 tbsp hemp seeds (recommended for added omega 3s and 6s!)
- 2 – 3 cups sourdough bread, cut into bite-sized cubes (from about 1/2 loaf sourdough bread)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper, divided
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and patted dry
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 – 5 cups romaine lettuce, roughly chopped (from about 2 romaine lettuce hearts), or another hearty lettuce if you prefer
- 5 oz. package arugula or spinach (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups cucumber, diced (from about 1/2 a large cucumber)
- 1 cup red radish, thinly sliced (from about 6–8 radishes, or 1 bunch)
- 1 1/2 cups ripe avocado, diced (from about 2 avocados or 1 extra large avocado)
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Prepare the croutons: In a large bowl, combine the cubed bread, thyme, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, and 2 tbsp olive oil. Toss to coat the bread cubes evenly, then spread in an even layer on one sheet pan.
- Prepare the chickpeas: In the same large bowl, combine the chickpeas, 1 tbsp olive oil, ½ tsp turmeric, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Toss to coat the chickpeas evenly, then spread in an even layer on the second sheet pan.
- Place chickpeas and croutons in the oven and bake until golden and crispy, about 15 minutes for the chickpeas and 20-25 minutes for the croutons. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the salad dressing: In a blender or food processor, combine all the dressing ingredients and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust, adding more lemon juice for acidity, more tahini if too acidic, water for thinning, and salt if needed. Alternatively, you can finely mince the garlic and capers and combine the dressing by hand (the consistency will be different, but the dressing will still be delicious).
- Assemble: In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine and arugula or spinach, radish, cucumber, avocado, and chickpeas. Pour in your desired amount of dressing and toss. Top each serving with a handful of croutons.