Mediterranean Roasted Cauliflower with Hummus and Pita
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
This one is inspired by one of my favorite dishes at True Food Kitchen. The classic combination of dates and tahini is enhanced by the addition of crunchy pistachios and a subtle kick from the harissa. we brighten it up with fresh dill and lemon juice, and serve alongside toasty pita bread and hummus.
Note: if you are short on time, feel free to buy pre-cut cauliflower.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 7 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 large head cauliflower or 2 small)
- 2 tbsp harissa, divided
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios
- 2–3 medjool dates, finely chopped (3 tbsp)
- 1/2 cup hummus (use your favorite store-bought hummus!)
- 4 small pita bread pockets
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cauliflower florets, ¼ cup olive oil, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tbsp harissa, minced garlic, and ½ teaspoon salt, until the florets are evenly coated.
- Spread the cauliflower in an even layer on both prepared baking sheets (we use two so that the cauliflower can caramelize without being too packed on the sheet.) Bake for 20-25 minutes, until browned and just fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, using the same large bowl (you can wipe it down), whisk together ¼ cup tahini, ¼ cup water, 1 tbsp harissa, 1 tbsp lemon juice, and ¼ tsp salt. Add in the chopped dates, pistachios and dill.
- Remove cauliflower from the oven and place it back into the bowl with the tahini sauce. Toss to coat the cauliflower and evenly distribute the dates and pistachios.
- Heat the pita in the oven for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly, and cut each one in half to create two pockets. Spread hummus inside the pocket and stuff with cauliflower mixture. Alternatively, keep the hummus and pita bread on the side and assemble as you eat.