Massaman-Style Vegetable Curry
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
Inspired by traditional Massaman curry but taking a few shortcuts for simplicity. Massaman-style curry typically features warming dry spices, a hint of sweetness and tartness, and a rich nuttiness. This curry combines traditional thai curry flavors with influences from Indian and Malaysian cuisine.
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or other neutral oil)
- 2 cups yellow onion, thinly sliced (from 1 large onion)
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced (from a 1-inch piece)
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 2 15 oz. cans coconut milk
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp red curry paste (Thai Kitchen Brand is great)
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups russet potato, diced (from 2 small russet potatoes or 1 large)
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, trimmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces (about 8 oz. green beans)
- 2 cups zucchini, diced (about 1 large zucchini)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1 cup toasted peanuts
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- Cooked rice for serving
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander, ½ tsp cinnamon, and ½ tsp cardamom. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large dutch oven or large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onions, ginger, ½ tsp salt, and sauté 5 minutes until onions begin to soften.
- To the onions and ginger, add the minced garlic, dry spice blend, and 4 tbsp curry paste. Cook 1 more minute until fragrant. Pour in the coconut milk, peanut butter, vegetable broth, and 1 tsp salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in the potatoes, zucchini, and green beans. Bring to a low boil then reduce to a simmer over low heat. Add in 1 tsp maple syrup or agave and cook, uncovered, until potatoes are fork-tender and the curry has slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Taste and season with another ½ tsp salt (if needed), and add 1 tbsp lime juice.
- Serve over rice and top with crunchy roasted peanuts and several sprigs of cilantro.