Hearts of Palm and Jicama “Ceviche”
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
This recipe is inspired by a dish I ate a lot when I visited Costa Rica. It’s a play on Ceviche, minus the fish, plus more veggies. It’s bright from the lime juice, texturally so satisfying, and absolutely bursting with tropical flavors. I’m also so excited to be sharing a recipe that features Jicama. If you’re not familiar with it, Jicama is a delicious root vegetable with a juicy and crunchy flesh. It was originally grown in Mexico, but is now found across South America and parts of Asia. It tastes like a cross between an apple and a potato and is incredibly nutritious (high in fiber and water, low in calories, and contains an impressive amount of important vitamins and minerals). It’s an amazing vegetable and I’m really hoping you’ll try it!
Note: you can find Jicama at most grocery stores. Whole Foods, Wegmans, Publix, and Sprouts all sell whole Jicama roots and Trader Joe’s sells pre-sliced and peeled jicama.
- 2 14oz. cans hearts of palm, drained, rinsed, and sliced into 1/4 inch circles
- Optional: 1 14oz. can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups jicama root, peeled and diced into small cubes (from 1 medium Jicama)
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped (from 1 bunch cilantro)
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced (from about 1/2 medium red onion)
- 2 tsp maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2–4 tbsp lime juice (from about 2 limes)
- 1/4 cup shredded toasted unsweetened coconut
- Optional: In a medium bowl, combine the hearts of palm slices and the coconut milk. Let the hearts of palm marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. This will help remove the briny taste left from the can but is not absolutely necessary. Drain the hearts of palm (no need to rinse) and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, combine hearts of palm, jicama, avocado, cilantro, red onion, maple syrup or agave, salt and pepper. Add in lime juice, 2 tablespoons at a time, and taste, adding more lime juice if more acidity is needed. Serve and top each serving with shredded coconut. Find a sunny corner to settle into and enjoy!