- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4-5 burritos 1x
Who needs an alarm when you have breakfast burritos to wake up to?! Just kidding, I still do. But, if there’s one way to start your day on a good note, it’s with a breakfast burrito! These burritos are packed with a savory tofu scramble, a play on a spicy aioli, pickled jalapeños (or regular pickles/cornichons) to cut through the aioli, and fresh herbs to tie everything together. They’re healthy and absolutely delicious. Perfect for a weekend breakfast with the fam or to make ahead to grab-and-go throughout the week! You won’t regret starting your day with these.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, divided
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 an onion)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 block firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- Optional but recommended: 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapenos or regular pickles/cornichons, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh dill (about 1/2 bunch)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise, greek yogurt, or sour cream
- 1 tsp sriracha (reduce to 1/2 or 1/4 tsp if sensitive to spice)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1/2 tsp garlic (1 small clove), grated or minced very finely
- 4 large flour tortillas (whole wheat or white flour, or a sturdy GF tortilla)
- Using your hands, crumble the block of tofu into small (about ½ inch) pieces. Alternatively, you can use a fork or a potato masher. The tofu will crumble easily, and you do not need to worry about the crumbles being the same size. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the sliced onion, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the crumbled tofu to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, until you begin to see light browning on the tofu. Add ½ tsp turmeric, another ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (if using) and spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside. The tofu should loosely resemble scrambled eggs.
- In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise or yogurt with 1 tsp sriracha, lemon juice, and the garlic. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Assemble the burritos:
- Spread a thin layer (1-2 tbsp) spicy mayo mixture onto the center of each tortilla, leaving a 1-inch border around the tortilla. Top with a strip (about ½ cup) of tofu scramble, 4-5 pickled jalapeno slices (or 1-2 slices of regular pickle), 1 tbsp dill, and 2 slices of tomato. Fold the left and right sides of the tortilla over the filling, then fold in the bottom side of the tortilla and roll up tightly, pinching to ensure the sides stay tucked, until you have a tightly packed burrito. Repeat with the other tortillas until you have used all the filling.
- Wipe down the skillet, and heat 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil over medium heat. Once hot, place burritos (2 at a time), seam side down, in the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes until the tortilla is golden brown and crispy. Flip the burritos over and repeat on the other side. Remove from the skillet and repeat with the remaining burritos. Serve immediately.
If you’re making these ahead of time to grab-and-go, allow the burritos to cool completely after browning them, then wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days, reheat in the microwave (without the aluminum!) or over a warm skillet.